Click on images to see larger versions

Ashcombe Toll House, Lewes, East Sussex

This Toll House is the sole survivor of a pair that marked the beginning of the Brighton turnpike.

The Toll House, owned by Sussex Heritage Trust since 2001, is a domed, circular building, 10ft high and 15ft in diameter, with a vaulted brick roof.

The history of the toll house is of interest to young and old alike, as it yields an insight to travel in a bygone age. Built in 1820 as one of a pair of matching booths on either side of the Brighton Turnpike, it was originally used for road maintenance as well as for the collection of tolls. The interior, currently used for storage, contains a fireplace and oven. The road was de-turnpiked in about 1870 and the larger Toll House sited on the north side of the road demolished in about 1868.

The Ashcombe Toll House is situated 200 yards west of the Ashcombe Roundabout, on the south side of the A27. It is on the south side of the A27 and was originally conceived as a store and shelter, the partner-building having accommodation for the turnpike keeper and his family.

There is limited car parking behind the Toll House (on the right of minor road leading off the roundabout, signposted Kingston). Public transport is available on buses 28 and 29 to Brighton from Waitrose or the Post Office in Lewes.

Tea, coffee and other refreshments may be available from nearby mobile cafe.